了解隱適美和MRC是什麼 Do you know the difference between Invisalign and Myobrace?
Invisalign and Myobrace are two popular orthodontic treatment tools that can help correct teeth and improve bites. Today, let me explain the differences between the two.
Invisalign is suitable for a wider age range, from children to adults. Early Invisalign treatment for children usually starts at the age of 7 to 8, depending on the child’s growth rate. Myobrace is suitable for a narrower age range, recommended for children aged 5 to 15, mainly for children and adolescents. Although both are orthodontic tools, people who hear about them for the first time may not understand the difference between the two. The most common confusion is “Which method should I choose for my child?” First, you need to understand that “Invisalign” is one brand among many clear aligners, and “Myobrace” is one brand among many myofunctional orthodontic products. Other similar products include Preortho and EFline. Although the myofunctional orthodontic products have similar principles of action, there are slight differences in details.
隱適美作用原理 The principle behind Invisalign
Invisalign is a custom-made orthodontic device that is comparable to a tailored suit for your teeth. Each set of aligners has slight differences that gradually shift the teeth into the desired position. The dentist plans the position of each tooth on the software, so Invisalign can clearly predict the appearance and position of the teeth after orthodontic treatment.
MRC作用原理 The principle behind Invisalign
The correct name for MRC correction should be myofunctional correction, which mainly focuses on training the muscles in the oral cavity. Unlike Invisalign braces, MRC uses several sets of different sizes to choose from, which is a bit like ready-to-wear clothing. The appropriate MRC brace size is selected based on the size of the dental arch. The working principle of MRC is slightly different from Invisalign; MRC has some “wings” around it, primarily to block the muscles of the cheeks and tongue and reduce their negative impact on the dental arch. By practicing exercises for the muscles in the oral and tongue areas and utilizing the power of the muscles surrounding the teeth and tongue, along with the flexibility of the braces, the teeth can achieve a state of balance.
我們可以從下列5點來了解隱適美和MRC的差異 We can understand the differences between Invisalign and MRC from the following five points:
1.配戴時間 wearing time
- Wearing time: The Invisalign treatment requires a longer wearing time of 20 to 22 hours per day, with longer wearing time resulting in better outcomes. The Myobrace System (MRC) requires a minimum of 1 hour per day during daytime and all night while sleeping.
- Comfort: Invisalign aligners provide better comfort as they are made of two custom-fitted aligners that fit snugly on the upper and lower jaws, causing less discomfort during wear. MRC is a device that covers both jaws and resembles a boxing mouthguard, making it bulkier. Since the primary aim is to train the muscles, some children with weaker lip muscles may find it more challenging to wear initially.
- Aesthetics: Invisalign is almost invisible, making it less noticeable when worn. MRC is more visible, and wearing it in school may attract attention.
- Invisalign for children’s early orthodontic correction: Tooth positions are pre-planned on software, and transparent aligners gradually move the teeth to their predetermined position.
- MRC for children’s early orthodontic correction: Tongue, oral muscles, and soft aligners are trained to achieve muscle balance, which, in turn, affects tooth alignment, resulting in properly aligned teeth. The muscles around the teeth are associated with the cheeks and tongue, so the current position of teeth can be viewed as a result of the balance between cheek muscle and tongue strength. The reason for poor teeth positioning may be weak tongue muscles caused by mouth breathing or incorrect tongue placement, and MRC aims to retrain the muscles around the teeth to achieve balance and move the teeth to the right position. Therefore, oral muscle and nasal breathing training are vital aspects of MRC treatment.
3.牙齒位置 Teeth positioning
- Invisalign children’s early orthodontic correction can accurately control the angle, direction, and vertical position of teeth as they are pre-set on software.
- MRC children’s early orthodontic correction is the result of muscle balance inside the mouth. Although it can generally achieve well-aligned teeth after treatment, there may be slight discrepancies in more detailed tooth alignment, such as individual tooth angles and vertical positions, making it less precise than Invisalign.
Both Invisalign and MRC are removable orthodontic appliances, unlike traditional metal braces, which are attached to teeth. Thus, both require careful attention to wearing time.Another crucial aspect of MRC treatment is oral muscle training, and merely wearing the MRC device alone is less effective. Consistent oral muscle exercises are essential for optimal results.
5.適用年齡 Age suitable
- Invisalign early orthodontic treatment is suitable for children with upper and lower central incisors and first molars that have fully erupted.
- MRC early orthodontic treatment is suitable for children aged 3 to 15 years old, who still have baby teeth or have a mixture of baby teeth and permanent teeth.
MRC治療療程 MRC treatment course
Several key points in the video emphasize that MRC aims to improve several negative oral habits in children, such as “mouth breathing habits,” “inability to close the mouth,” and “incorrect tongue placement.” Incorrect tongue placement and difficulty in mouth closure are sometimes caused by mouth breathing, so MRC treatment emphasizes proper tongue placement, encouraging children to place their tongue in the correct position “on the roof of the mouth,” and practice proper swallowing movements. The MRC device needs to be worn throughout the night while sleeping. During the day, it is recommended to wear the MRC device for one hour during school, homework, watching TV, or playing video games.
MRC treatment typically consists of several stages:
Stage1. Habits correction, Stage2. Arch development, Stage3. Dental alignment, Stage4. Retension
1.矯正壞習慣，養成好習慣 Stage1. Habits correction
This is the first stage of the treatment. There are several actions that we want children to practice during this stage: 1. Practice switching from mouth breathing to nasal breathing. 2. Train the tongue to be in the correct position. 3. Practice the correct swallowing movement. 4. Keep lips closed when not eating or speaking. By doing these actions, we hope to promote the growth of the upper and lower jaw, reducing the likelihood of requiring orthodontic treatment in the future.
During this stage, we will provide the first stage MRC appliance, which can be worn throughout the night and must not fall out before moving on to the next st
2.擴張上顎牙弓 Stage2. Arch development
This is the second stage, which may vary depending on the child’s condition. In this stage, a BWS maxillary expansion device is used in conjunction with the MRC orthodontic appliance. The goal is to create more space in the upper jaw for the teeth to align properly, while also promoting development of the midface.
3.排齊牙齒 Stage3. Dental alignment
At this stage, a second set of MRC braces will be provided. The material will be slightly harder than the first set, allowing the teeth to align along the MRC brace arch shape. The daily wearing time for the second set of braces will be the same as the first set, and will continue to be worn until the teeth are properly aligned.
4.維持期：維持矯正成果 Stage4. Retension
The purpose of the third set of MRC appliances is to maintain the orthodontic correction achieved in the previous stages. Children are advised to continue wearing the appliance until they have finished growing, which can vary depending on growth rate, typically around 12-14 years old. During this stage, as children continue to grow, it is possible for the MRC retainer to rub against the gums, and at that point, it may need to be replaced with a conventional retainer or a larger MRC retainer.
MRC費用與隱適美費用比較 Comparison of MRC and Invisalign Costs
The most frequently asked question regarding MRC treatment is about the cost of MRC. Which is more expensive between MRC early orthodontic treatment for children and Invisalign early orthodontic treatment for children?
The answer depends on the situation. The cost of Invisalign early orthodontic treatment for children is usually bundled. During the treatment period, if the teeth cannot keep up with the progress of the aligners or if the treatment plan needs to be changed, there are no additional technician costs for the dentist. Therefore, there are fewer additional costs for the patient. In contrast, MRC early orthodontic treatment for children is calculated based on a single set of MRC appliances. If a child loses or damages the appliance, the dentist will need to replace it with a new one, incurring additional costs for the patient.
If MRC early orthodontic treatment progresses smoothly, the MRC cost is generally slightly lower than the cost of Invisalign early orthodontic treatment. However, there are several situations that may result in additional MRC costs:
- Loss of MRC appliances.
- Grinding or rough handling of the appliances by the child, causing damage that requires replacement of the MRC appliances.
- Need for additional maxillary expansion devices.
- As the child grows older, the dental arch also increases in size, making the first set of MRC retainers unfit, requiring a larger size of MRC retainer.
If any of the above situations occur, the dentist will need to charge for a new set of MRC appliances, and after multiple occurrences, the MRC cost may not be cheaper than Invisalign early orthodontic treatment.
1.先評估是否真的需要兒童早期矯正？Evaluate if early childhood correction is really necessary.
From the perspective of the dentist, the benefit of early childhood correction is that it can reduce the probability of future corrective jaw surgery or tooth extraction. Unless these situations exist, it is recommended to wait until all the teeth have fully grown before evaluating correction, which is why some parents receive a correction time of 12 years old while others receive 6 years old.
2.小朋友本身的動機強不強？How strong is the child’s motivation?
MRC early childhood correction requires a higher level of motivation and cooperation from the child compared to invisible orthodontics. After all, daily oral exercise is required, and the device is not as comfortable as invisible orthodontics. If the child’s motivation for changing their teeth is weak or their self-discipline is low, invisible orthodontics may be easier for the child to adapt to.
3.家長對整齊度的要求高不高？Are the parents demanding of precision?
As mentioned earlier, MRC allows teeth to be aligned automatically, so it cannot achieve the same precision as invisible orthodontics. If parents think that slightly uneven teeth will not affect their child and only want to improve their child’s bite and breathing habits, then MRC may be suitable.
4.費用的考量 Cost considerations
Generally speaking, MRC is slightly less expensive than invisible orthodontics, but there are exceptions.
5.時間上的考量 Time considerations
Generally, the correction time for MRC is slightly longer than that of invisible orthodontics, but it depends on the situation.
We hope that these five points will help you decide which system to use for early childhood correction treatment.